Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Scrapbooking Memories- And Adding Adjectives

Before I decided to return to school I was an avid scrapbooker. For those unfamiliar with the term scrapbooking, it is a creative way to preserve photos, ticket stubs, objects and any type of memorabilia that holds a personal memory. I tend to scrapbook pictures only, although once in a while I add an object that is tied to that memory. All of the scrapbook pages that I have done are about my family, mostly my children and their milestones.  I would imagine the page in my head before I made a single cut to my pictures or construction paper. I would look at my folder full of themed stickers and chose the most appropriate ones for the scrapbook page about to be created. I used various types of construction paper that had different textures to give the page personality and make them more interesting to look at. Scrapbooking is a very personal activity and there is no right or wrong way to do it. However elaborate you want to make it is completely up to you. For me it has become a very personal creative outlet because every page that I constructed, and I have done many, will be left for my children to look back upon and recall that time in their lives. My goal with the scrapbook album is to make certain memories come to life for them when they visit the pages, and even if they cannot remember the day itself, the scrapbook is there to help jog their memory along. I would like the scrapbook to show them how much I cherished their special days and most of all how much I cherish them.

A few of the scrapbook pages I have created over the years
For more information on scrapbooking and how you can get started with the basics, visit www.paperwishes.com/scrapbooking101

Vocabulary - Adjectives
Avid: Showing a lot of interest and enthusiasm for something
Creative: Something original and imagined
Personal: Belongs to a person in particular
Single: Consisting of only one thing
Full: No empty space left over
Appropriate: Most suitable
Various: Consisting of many
Different: Not the same as others
Interesting: Catches attention and curiosity
Wrong: Not correct
Elaborate: Very detailed and carefully designed
Certain: To know for sure, something specific
Special: Better, greater, stands out


Vocabulary Exercise- Adjective Crossword Puzzle
Fill in the correct adjective according to the hint given.

Grammar Point
Adjectives are words that describe nouns (person, place or thing), they can be specific and give information. There are many adjectives that describe how something feels, tastes and looks. Adjectives can give your writing a boost because they can help the reader imagine things more clearly.

Exercise 1
Directions: Read the sentence & underline the adjective(s). Write the noun(s) it describes on the line.

1) The colorful butterfly flew around the garden, stopping at every pink and red rose to get nectar.
     ____________________

2)  Much of the day was boring, except for when we went to my favorite amusement park.
      ____________________

3) The old, rickety canoe was taken out of the shed for us to use our sweet grandmother's lake house.
      ____________________

4) Even though my younger brother annoys me until my face turns red, I cannot imagine how
     unexciting life would be without him.  ____________________

5) The new strip mall they built has a lot of great, fancy stores, but it causes heavy traffic in my
     neighborhood.  ____________________

Exercise 2
Directions: Write a paragraph (5-7 sentences) using as many adjectives to describe your favorite holiday and your reasons for liking it. 

2 comments:

  1. Great post Lily! Scrapbooking is a very fitting topic to practice adjectives! I think your narrative was a perfect length and both activities are useful for ENL students. The crossword puzzle is a fun way for students to learn definitions and the exercises are great practice for a range of abilities. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scrapbooking is a really great hobby, and you have explained it very well. And it is something that you could do with your ESL students.

    ReplyDelete