Friday, October 28, 2016

Our family's immense love for basketball - Did someone say Adverbs?

For as long as I can remember, ever since I was a small, itty bitty child, basketball has always been my family's favorite sport. It started with my mother, and slowly but surely, basketball fever spread down to my brother and me,  and now it has taken hold of my children as well. My mother played basketball while she was in medical school, and apparently I was her personal cheerleader! I, of course, do not recall any of this but I will say that it was my mother who first put a basketball in my hand. She is the one who taught my brothers how to dribble the ball and do layups correctly. She helped me improve my shooting and defensive skills on the court. As my brothers grew older and taller, they became very good basketball players and even played for their high school basketball teams. I wasn't so lucky because I remained very short, I didn't get taller than 5 ft. 2 in. so it was hard to play against the much taller girls on the school team. But that did not stop me, I still played at home with my brothers when they were shooting around in the backyard. Now I have children of my own, and I have passed down the love for basketball to them. I put a basketball in my daughter's hand when she was just 6 years old and she has been playing for ten years. She isn't tall either but she is a force to contend with on the court. She has been playing High School Varsity basketball since 9th grade until recently because she got injured while playing over the summer. My son Roman is five now and is also playing basketball, but he is just starting to learn the basics of the game. But so far, he really seems to love playing our family's favorite sport!



Vocabulary List
RememberTo have in your mind an awareness of something
Sport: A game involving physical activity and usually has several players (baseball, soccer, football)
Slowly: Not quickly
Spread: To extend over a large area or surface
Hold: To support, carry or grasp with hands or arms
Apparently: As far as someone knowledge is
Recall: To bring a fact, situation, event or memory into your mind again
Dribble: To strike a basketball with an open palm as so to bounce the ball on the ground
Layup: One handed shot made into basketball hoop by bouncing ball off the backboard from the side
Skills: The ability to do something well
Remained: Continue to exist, or posses a particular quality, idea or object
High School: A phase of the American education system usually from grades 9-12
Against: Opposed to, in opposition to something
Around: (used as a preposition in the sentence) in or to many places throughout the backyard
Backyard: Yard, or space in the back of the house
Contend: Struggle to face
Injured: Physically hurt somewhere on body
Basics: Essentials facts, beginning skills of something. most basic foundation 
Seems: Give the impression of being something or having a particular quality
Summer: One of the four seasons of the year with very hot sunny days

Vocabulary Exercise
Directions: Use 10 of the vocabulary words above to write complete sentences. Underline the noun, use a blue highlighter to highlight the verbs and a yellow highlighter to highlight the adjectives.

Ex: My sister remained at her school for her worst subject, math

Grammar Point - Adverbs
Adverbs tell us when, where, how, in what manner and/or to what extend an action is performed. They typically modify verbs, but they can also modify and adjective or another verb. 
Adverbs tend to end in -ly but remember, not all the time, these are called flat adverbs.

Examples of adverbs modifying verbs:

1. The stray cat ran quickly to catch the squirrel in the backyard.
2. Dr. Jason Bourne worked tirelessly to find a cure for cancer.
3. The soldiers marched forward when they heard the bugle playing over the loud speaker.
4. Julie and Emily traveled far and wide to seek a better life.

Examples of adverbs modifying adjectives and other adverbs:
               
1. She is a really good swimmer for someone her age.
2. Helen's grades are significantly higher than the rest of her classmates.
3. The audience left quite abruptly after the actor missed his cue to go onstage. 
4. The price of oil rose incredibly quickly once the snowstorm hit Long Island.

Grammar Point Exercise
Directions: Create 15 full sentences with nouns, verbs, and adjectives. Next, chose adverbs from the list below to modify the verbs and adjectives in your sentences. 

Commonly used Adverbs:
Poorly                                    Gigantically
Rapidly                                  Softly
Quickly                                  Hugely
Abruptly                                 Defiantly
Swiftly                                    Deliberately
Lazily                                     Happily
Hourly                                    Enormously
Daily                                      Frequently
Brightly                                  Anxiously
Bravely                                  Nervously

To read more about adverbs visit www.grammarbook.com/grammar/adjAdv.asp

4 comments:

  1. Great post Lily. I love your personal connection to sports and how you passed it down to your children and support them too! I like how you added examples of how to use adverbs to model how to use adverbs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lily,

    I loved reading your post about your family tradition of playing basketball! Sharing your love for sports is a great way to connect with children. I also liked how thorough you were with your explanation of adverbs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is great for children and adults to have a passion for something. Basketball is a fun sport and a great source of exercise. Basketball helps teach the importance of team work. I loved that you grabbed the reader in by interspersing the grammar point in your title. Great Idea! The color coding of the adjectives and adverbs were very helpful for a visual learner like myself. Great job Lily!
    I'll see you on the courts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent post Lily! Basketball is also my favorite sport. I have pbeen playing it since a young kid as well. I think that your activity and post would be great for studnets at any age. I believe that the activities are great assessments for students to check their understanding from the reading. Great job Lily!

    ReplyDelete